Skip to main content

SEND Local Offer

Local authorities and other services must set out a local offer of all services available to support children who are disabled, or who have Special Educational Needs, and their families. The local offer enables families to understand what services they can access and what support they can expect from a range of local agencies, including from the local authority, health services, schools, leisure services and the voluntary sector. The offer includes provision from birth to 25, across education, health and social care.
The potential outcomes of the Local Offer are:

  • To provide clarity and confidence for parents.
  • To support earlier intervention.
  • To reduce the need for assessment.
  • To identify need and gaps in provision.
  • To provide an evidence base for improving progress and securing better outcomes, at school and local level.


North Cockerington Church of England Primary School SEND Local Offer

All Lincolnshire schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.

The Lincolnshire County Council’s Guidance on Special Educational Needs (SEN) Support document provides details of the Local Offer, the different roles if staff within school, the identification of Special Education Needs and Disabilities, SEN support in school and Education Health Care Assessments.

At North Cockerington our SENDCo is Mrs Imogen Plaskitt.

Link: Lincolnshire SEND Local Offer

North Cockerington C of E Primary School Local Offer

What should I do if I think my child has Special Educational Needs?
  • The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns.
  • If you have further concerns then contact Mrs Plaskitt, who is the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).
How will the school respond to my concerns?
It is likely that the school will have already identified a parent’s concerns and are working to develop these areas.  The teacher may be able to reassure the parent about these.  If the concerns are more specific, with a medical issue for example, the school and the parent will work together to seek relevant advice or referral as necessary. 
How will the school decide if my child needs extra support?
The school will decide if a child needs extra support if they are not reaching age expected targets or are having difficulties in other areas of school life, such as socialisation.
What will the school do to support my child?
  • Each child’s education programme is planned by the class teacher.  It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the child’s needs.  This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in the class.
  • If a child is still finding difficulty in accessing differentiated class work, the STAPS (Specialist Teaching and Applied Psychology Service), may be asked to assess a child.  This referral would be made with the consent of a parent or carer. After the assessment is made, advice will be given.  This will be discussed with the parent/carer.
  • If a child has needs related to more specific areas of their education, the may have an Individual Education Plan (IEP).  This plan will have targets on it, which will be worked towards for approximately a term. It may involve small group intervention work or 1:1 work with a teaching assistant. After a term, the targets will be reviewed by all involved to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision, progress made and inform future planning.
  • Pupils may need more expert support from an outside agencies such as Speech and Language Therapy.  If this is needed, referrals will be made, with the parents’ or carers’ consent.
Who will support my child?
  • The children will be supported by the TA in their classroom.

What training and experience do staff have for the additional support my child needs?

  • The teachers and TAs at our school have received training in Dyslexia and Precision Teaching.  All staff have received Team Teach Training.  Mrs Plaskitt has received training on Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia.
Who else might be involved in supporting my child?
At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise.  The agencies used by the school include:
  • Autism Outreach Team
  • Educational Psychologist
  • CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service)
  • Occupational Therapy Service
  • Social Services
  • Speech and Language Therapy Service
  • Lincoln and Grimsby Hospital Paediatricians
  • School Nurse
An Educational Psychologist is allocated to our school.  He/she would only normally work with pupils whose needs are felt to be quite considerable and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them.  This assessment takes place with the consent of the parent or carer.  The psychologist will generally meet with the parent and give feedback after the assessment has been completed.  He/she will offer advice to the school and parents/carers on how to best support the pupil in order to take their learning forward.
Pupils with medical needs
  • If a pupil has a medical need that a detailed Care Plan is compiled with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents or carers.  These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.
  • Staff have received epipen training delivered by the school nurse.
  • All staff have basic first aid training.
  • Medication for acute illness are administered in school, but only where a signed Medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both the child and staff member.
What support will be there for my child’s emotional and social well-being?
Members of staff, such as the class teacher, teaching assistants, SENCO and head teacher are available for pupils to discuss issues and concerns.
How will my child be involved in the process and be able to contribute their views?
If appropriate, older children may be invited to the termly review of their IEPs, where targets are reviewed and new targets set.
How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?
  • When a child has been identified with SEN their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.
  • TAs may be allocated to work with the child in a 1:1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.
  • If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given an IEP.  Targets will be set according to their area of need.  These will be monitored by the class teacher and SENCO.  IEP targets will be discussed with parents and reviewed with parents.
  • Appropriate specialist equipment may be given to the pupil eg pencil grips and easy to use scissors.
What opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s attainment and achievement?  How will I know how well my child is progressing?
  • Children’s progress will be discussed at the Parents’ Evenings during the Autumn and Spring Terms.  In addition to this, children with IEPs will have reviews of these, three times a year.
  • Appointments can be made with class teachers who are available at the end of the day, if you wish to talk about the progress your child is making or to raise a concern.  
How does the school know how well my child is doing?
  • The class teacher will monitor children’s progress on a week by week basis.  Formal assessments are made once a term and these assessments are tracked against progress and age related expectations.
  • Children may have an annual STAPS assessment which will monitor children’s progress in areas such as reading, spelling and maths ages.
  • How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?
  • All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips.  We will aim to provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful.
  • Risk assessments are carried out and procedures put in place to enable all children to participate.
How accessible is the school environment?  How accessible is the curriculum?
At present, we have:
  • 1 disabled toilet
  • Wide doors in some parts of the building
  • Ground floor access
How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school?
Many strategies are in place to help children when they start our school.  These include:
  • Discussions with the previous setting.
  • Time spent in the child’s new class, before starting the school.
  • Meetings with parents or carers and the child.
How will the school prepare and support my child to transfer to a new school?
Many strategies are in place to help children when they start our school.  These include:
  • Pupil meetings with the staff from their new school.
  • Meetings with the SENCO of their new school.
  • Three transition days, where the child visits their new school.
  • Additional days in their new school, as required by the child.
How can I be involved in supporting my child?
  • The class teacher may suggest ways of how you can support your child.
  • If outside agencies are involved, they may make suggestions about the support that a parent or carer can give at home.
How can I access support for myself and my family?
The Local Authority Local Offer is on the Local Authority website:
Lincolnshire Parent Partnership provides free and impartial information, support and advice about education issues so that parents can be fully involved in decisions about their child’s education.
Early help assessments:
Who can I contact for further information?
  • Ms Becky Dhami, Headteacher.
  • Mrs Imogen Plaskitt, SENCO